It’s Friday the 13th today. While I am not a very superstitious person by nature, I do have friends who are. I’m sure that one of the Friday the 13th movies will be playing on TV somewhere tonight. I’ve never watched even one of them. I hated scary movies when I was a kid and now they just look goofy.
Here are 10 fun facts about Friday the 13th:
- 13 is said to get a bad rap because it follows the number 12. 12 is considered the number of completeness: 12 months in a year, 12 hours on a clock, 12 zodiacs, 12 gods of Olympus, 12 Apostles of Jesus etc.
- The fear of Friday the 13th is called paraskevidekatriaphobia (pronounced pair- uh – SKEV – vee – day – CAT – tree – uh – FOE – bee – uh). That’s a mouth full!
- Every year has at least one and at most three Friday the 13ths. The triple-threat occurs only once every 11 years.
- 2012 is a triple-threat year and will have 3 Friday the 13ths. The others occur in April and July.
- According to Smithsonian Magazine “fear of the #13 costs American a billion dollars per year in absenteeism, train and plane cancellations, and reduced commerce on the 13th of the month.”
- Many hospitals do not have a room 13. Some tall buildings skip the 13th floor and some airline terminals omit Gate 13.
- About 20 million Americans alter they daily routine out of fear of Friday the 13th.
- Four of the twelve Friday the 13th movies were released on a Friday the 13th.
- Fidel Castro was born on Friday, August 13, 1956.
- Tupac Shakur was killed on Friday the 13th.
Will you change your routine today because of Friday the 13th? Do you contribute to the estimated billion dollars in lost revenue?